Tuesday, January 21, 2014

4 CLASSIC DAVID RUFFIN ALBUMS REISSUED ON 2 CDS

DAVID RUFFIN - MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED / FEELIN' GOOD

The incandescent talent of David Ruffin was too big for even the Temptations to hold. As Smokey Robinson observed, “The only way David could survive at Motown was as a solo artist.” And so Ruffin left the Temptations in 1969 to strike out on his own with a series of releases that further established him as one of Motown’s great voices. These two albums from 1969 have only come out on CD in the U.S. as a part of a long out of print, limited edition box set, and only overseas on high-priced Japanese reissues; each of them rank among the greatest soul albums of the late ‘60s. 1969’s My Whole World Ended went to #1 on the R&B album charts on the strength of its hit title cut and “I’ve Lost Everything I’ve Ever Loved,” while Feelin’ Good went to #9 on the R&B album charts and sported the hit “I’m So Glad I Fell for You.” Liner notes by Gene Sculatti…sheer soul genius. Songs include: My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me); Pieces of a Man; Somebody Stole My Dream; I’ve Lost Everything I’ve Ever Loved; Everlasting Love; I’ve Got to Find Myself a Brand New Baby; The Double Cross; Message from Maria; World of Darkness; We’ll Have a Good Thing Going On; My Love Is Growing Stronger; Flower Child; Loving You (Is Hurting Me); Put a Little Love in Your Heart; I’m So Glad I Fell for You; Feeling Alright; I Could Never Be Presidentl; I Pray Everyday You Won’t Regret Leaving Me; What You Gave Me; One More Hurt; I Let Love Slip Away; I Don’t Know Why I Love You; The Forgotten Man; and The Letter.

DAVID RUFFIN: DAVID RUFFIN / ME 'N' ROCK 'N ROLL ARE HER TO STAY

The incandescent talent of David Ruffin was too big for even the Temptations to hold. As Smokey Robinson observed, “The only way David could survive at Motown was as a solo artist.” And so Ruffin left the Temptations in 1969 to strike out on his own with a series of releases that further established him as one of Motown’s great voices. These two records, released in 1973 and 1974, respectively, did not spawn any hit singles but instead reflected Ruffin’s growth as an artist away from the Motown formula and towards a life spent in the fast lane. David Ruffin, produced by Bobby Miller, whose writing credit appears on eight out of the 10 tracks, is a psychedelic soul masterpiece, and features the definitive version of Gamble and Huff’s “I Miss You (Part 1).” Me ‘N Rock ‘N Roll Are Here to Stay, meanwhile, marked the fiery collision of Ruffin with the brilliant producer Norman Whitfield, with the creative sparks to prove it. Both records appear here on CD for the first time outside of a long out of print, limited edition set, with notes by Gene Sculatti. Songs include: The Rovin’ Kind; Common Man; I’m Just a Mortal Man; (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want to Be Right; There Will Always Be Another Song to Sing; I Miss You (Part 1); Blood Donors Needed (Give All You Can); A Little More Trust; Go On with Your Bad Self; A Day in the Life, of a Working Man; I Saw You When You Met Her; Take Me Clear from Here; Smiling Faces Sometimes; Me ‘n Rock ‘n Roll Are Here to Stay; Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are); No Matter Where; City Stars; and I Just Want to Celebrate.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...