Wednesday, November 13, 2013

NEW RELEASES - MARK ARTHUR MILLER, MARY WELLS, THE EMOTIONS

MARK ARTHUR MILLER - SOUL SEARCHING

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Stevie Wonder, The Tempations, Jr. Walker and the All Stars and Marvin Gaye were all part of the soundtrack of Mark Arthur Miller's young life growing up in Chicago’s South Side. His Dad, Mark Miller, was as staff writer at Motown along with other great writers such as Holland-Dozier-Holland, Mickey Stevenson and Harvey Fuqua.  Miller's Motown hits include "A Place in the Sun," "For Once in My Life," "Yester-me, Yester-you, Yester-day," "Heaven Help Us All," "Touch Me in the Morning," "Someday at Christmas," and "Don't Burn the Bridge Down." Through the years Mark Arthur Miller found himself in the company of idols Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, and many others.  'I love music, period," says Mark.  "I started out singing jazz, and I love Sondheim and rock and pop.  But I had to admit that after a while I was turning every single arrangement into Rhythm & Blues." "Soul Seaching" is a 6-song EP that Mark co-produced with Peter Smith and it includes original music by the late Mark Miller.  Songs include: (Sittin' on the) Dock of the Bay; Tracks of My Tears; The Way You Make Me Feel; If I Could; People; and My Girl/Just My Imagination.

MARY WELLS - THE OLD, THE NEW AND THE BEST OF MARY WELLS

An early 80s comeback set from Mary Wells – put together with a mix of newer tracks and remade older classics – as you might guess from the title! Production is by Wayne Henderson, with a relatively contemporary feel – a style that has plenty of 80s mainstream soul touches at times, particularly on the catchier numbers – but with more than enough room for Wells to still hang in there vocally, although with a somewhat more mature vocal style than in earlier years. Titles include "My Guy", "Two Lovers", "You Beat Me To The Punch", "Oh Little Boy What Did You Do To Me", "Bye Bye Baby", "You Lost The Sweetest Boy", "Old Love Let's Try It Again", and "What Love Has Joined Together". CD also features bonus tracks – a number for the album that were never issued at the time, including "I'm A Lady", "Make Up Break Up", "I Feel For You", "Money Talks", and "Too Feel Your Love" – plus "My Guy (12" mix)" and "My Guy (12" inst)". ~ Dusty Groove

THE EMOTIONS - COME INTO OUR WORLD

The sweet Emotions at the top of their game – one of the brilliant albums that has the soulful trio working hand in hand with Earth Wind & Fire! The girls were plenty great in their early years, but working with Maurice White and company, they really took off – hitting a whole new level that really unlocked some deeply spiritual power in their vocals! And sure, the approach also yielded the group plenty of hits – but for good reason, too – given the classic quality and all-great nature of a set like this. Maurice White produced, and the lineup is filled with plenty of Earth Wind & Fire players too – working with some great arrangements from Tom Tom 84, Wade Marcus, and others. Tunes are balanced between clubby numbers and some nice midtempo moments – and titles include "Where Is Your Love", "Cause I Love You", "Come Into My World", "On & On", "I Should Be Dancing", "Layed Back", and "Yes I Am". CD features bonus tracks – "My Baby Dance", "I Should Be Dancing (single)", and "Where Is Your Love (single)". ~ Dusty Groove


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...